Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cafe scene at Cosi

Artist: Yoko Furusho
Music: International music found typically in cafes

This week we have some freakishly nice weather in Chicago (seriously, it should still be snowing right now; it's almost as weird as when it hailed in late June). So I took advance of the weather and went out to downtown to relax with my friends, get some fresh air, fill out job apps, write resume and cover letters... the usual.

On Monday, Amy and I went to Cosi, a cafe franchise, down on Michigan Ave and across from the Art Institute Museum. While she was submitting paperwork and being productive, I took out a crappy "watercolor" pad and started to draw the scene in the cafe (I guess I was being productive too in a way). I continued the piece once I return home and finished it in the middle of the night and the next morning with little sleep. Here are the results:


I didn't like the finish results that much, especially the zombie guy on the left of the piece and the monster tree in the background...and the awkward oval table to a certain degree. They throw the composition off. I scanned the image and messed with crop.


The picture looks odd to me at first because I am not quite use to the square composition(?) but it already looks a lot better with zombie boy out of the picture (sorry, zombie boy).


I crop another chunk to make the image more rectangular; however, it looks a little bottom heavy after this edit since all of the people are situated on the bottom half of the picture. And maybe I should have left the zombie guy in this picture but remove bit of the chair. Never really occur to me until now.


I decide to balance this by cropping the top but according to my friends this crop took off some of the interesting elements in the pieces, ie: the angles of the door frame.

Right now, I am leaning towards the square crop. Feel bad that zombie boy can't join us but he's in his first stage of decomposition and would probably like to be left alone anyways. The pattern for this piece is inspired by illustrative works of Yoko Furusho. She is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment